Post-Christmas and New Leaf

As I sit here in my leftover-induced food coma, surrounded by my spoils of Christmas, I am reading this email war on the Wabash student listserv that I will not go into detail about.  All I’ll say about it is that it is the holiday season and, thus, should be the “no email war” season.  Aside from the seasonal email war, my day has been graced with a plethora of food, and one of the best games of 2013, in my opinion: Animal Crossing New Leaf

I got Animal Crossing: New Leaf yesterday and have been in love with it.  It is the first installment of the Animal Crossing series on Nintendo’s 3DS system.  There are four games in the Animal Crossing series, beginning with the eponymous Animal Crossing for the Nintendo Gamecube, released in 2001.  Following this was Animal Crossing: Wild World for the Nintendo DS, the other title in this series that I have played, released in 2005.  Next came Animal Crossing: City Folk for the Wii in 2008 and, now, Animal Crossing: New Leaf in 2013.  I have minimal experience with Animal Crossing games that aren’t Wild World, so I’ll be using that as my reference point for all comparisons.

3D! It’s the future! Err…also, the present.

One of the first noticeable differences in New Leaf is the step into the 3rd dimension (I mean, that’s what the 3DS is known for after all).  While I tend to refrain from using the 3D on my system (I move around a lot while playing, and the 3D only works correctly if you’re pretty still), I tried it out and it is surprisingly well-done.  It does not feel rushed like the last 3DS game that I purchased (Pokemon X).  At least the 3D technology that Nintendo’s system uses is glasses-free.  What a hassle those things are.

No, not that kind of tool. Less Ed Hardy.

The other improvements are small, but significant.  For instance, throughout the game your character collects tools that are frequently used (shovel, fishing pole, bug net, slingshot).  In Wild World, these items had to be equipped by opening you “backpack”, selecting the item, and choosing to equip it.  In New Leaf, these items are hot-keyed to the directional pad: left and right scrolls through them, while down puts them away.  It’s small improvements like this that make the game much more enjoyable.  I’m going to play the game a bit more before I settle on a personal rating for it, but it has started off in the right direction.

I hope everyone’s breaks are going well!