Thanksgiving and Black Friday

I hope everyone had great Thanksgivings! Even if you couldn’t be with your loved ones, I hope that you could talk or see them in some fashion (I’m looking at you FaceTime; wasn’t this one of your selling points?).  Luckily, I got to spend my Thanksgiving with my family.  Actually, I got to have two Thanksgivings (this is where the benefits of having a significant other come into play).  Thanksgiving was fun, but let’s get to the meat (probably leftover turkey) of this blog: Black Friday.

For those who may not know (maybe you’re not native to the US, or you live under a few rocks), “Black Friday” is the name given to one of the largest shopping days in the US.  It always comes after Thanksgiving, and it’s always hectic.  There is also a large percentage of people who dislike Black Friday.  They throw around things like “consumerism is ruining Thansgiving”, but I simply disagree.  For the sake transparency: I shop every Black Friday.  Today was my fourth Black Friday shopping spree, and there will probably be many more to come.  Here’s my justification: it’s fun.

Now, fun is a very subjective thing.  Some people may not find watching people argue over a $12.99 waffle-iron doorbuster (that was actually $8.99 last week, but was marked up then artificially “marked down”) to be very fun, but I find it to be a grand ol’ time.  Now, I don’t just watch the spectacles, I actually go shopping too.  Mostly, I try to clear my Christmas shopping list, because many things are marked down (and not always artificially).  This year, for instance, I checked off most of the things that were on my shopping list for fairly cheap.

Another thing that people harp upon is how “Thanksgiving is supposed to be spent with your family and loved ones”.  I tend to agree with this, and my Thanksgivings have always been spent with my family, but not the entire day.  See, in my household, we have Thanksgiving “dinner” around 2:30pm.  This is how it’s always been, don’t ask me why.  We cook early, eat early, and then have the rest of the day to do nothing.  This nothingness was replaced with Black Friday shopping a few years ago.  Each year, various members of my household get together and head out to spend hours looking at zealous deal-grabbers, and doing some shopping for ourselves.  It’s a family event.

So, while many people think that it is a crazy, consumerism-ridden, Thanksgiving-ending time of the year, I think people just need to chill out and stop judging others.  That’s my Thanksgiving message for this year.

Happy Thanksgiving, and Happy Hannukah!