Guy Fawkes and HJR-6

Remember, remember the 5th of November. If you don’t know what Guy Fawkes Day/Bonfire Night is then take a seat, and listen close.  Imagine being a Catholic in 1600s Great Britain when King James I, a Protestant, was in power.  You hear rumblings in the community that there is going to be an assassination attempt on King James.  A coup, if you will, to usurp the throne and institute a Catholic head of state.  This was the plan of a group of English Catholic in 1605.  How were they going to kill the King? Explosives, of course.  This is where Guy Fawkes comes in.  He had experiences with explosives, having served in the army some 10 years, so he was put in charge of the casks of gunpowder.  However, Guy Fawkes was caught guarding a stash of explosives rigged behind the House of Lords, was arrested, and the assassination attempt failed.  That is the story of the Gunpowder Plot of 1605.

For something completely different, I am going to write my opinion here regarding this HJR-6 business, and Wabash’s support of it.  If you’re not familiar, HJR-6 is a change to Article 1 of Indiana’s Constitution.  Essentially, it would make marriage constitutionally defined as being between one man and one woman.  It also states that any legal status identical to marriage for unmarried parties (e.g. civil unions) would not be valid.  Here’s the entire thing, if you want to vomit (http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/RES/HJ0006.1.html).  On to my opinions and beliefs.

Firstly, I despise that this is a political issue.  I know that, because of the legal benefits of marriage, it has to be.  This is not what I am talking about, however.  I mean, the opinion of whether or not same-sex marriage is okay.  Aside from the fact that the only arguments against same-sex marriage that I have heard are religious (and should, therefore, be struck from the record.  Your belief shouldn’t influence the secular, legal contracts of others), I think this comes down to being an empathetic human issue, rather than a political leaning issue.  The fact that there are people who want to marry but cannot in the same way that their heterosexual counterparts can, is enough to put me on the side of pro same-sex marriage.  Equality, man.  What is this, 1960?

Next, I think President Hess has all of the reason in the world to join Wabash on the opposing side of the HJR-6 debate.  Professor Gunther, a psychology professor at Wabash, made a point that stuck out to me: President Hess is an employer.  Simple as that.  As the employer of Wabash College, he has the right to fight (on his, and the college’s behalf) for the right to equality amongst his employees.  We actually joined DePauw on showing support for the opposition to HJR-6: http://www.freedomindiana.org/depauwandwabash/

As Forest Gump says: