Darwin Day

Science has always been my favorite subject.  It never mattered which science I was in; earth science, physics, biology, chemistry.  As long as I was in a class and learning about the physical world and its properties, I was content.  Now, I realize that there are many branches of the sciences: life sciences, physical sciences, social science (of which my major, psychology belongs to), “hard” sciences, “soft” sciences.  All of these branches of science have a common factor: they are all riddled with intellectuals that helped further their respective fields.  Some of these great minds were influential enough to get their own day.  This is where we come to the title of this post.

The International Darwin Day Foundation states that the first Darwin Day event was held by the Stanford Humanists on April 22nd, 1995.  This first event was a lecture that used Lucy (the skeleton of an Australopithecus afarensis; an extinct hominid hypothesized to be a human ancestor or close relative to an ancestor) as a central point.  Now, Darwin Day is all about promoting the public education of science and encouraging the celebration of science and humanity (http://darwinday.org/about-us/).  The former point really needs to be stressed, especially in the United States.  I mean, in a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette poll in 2008, 33% of those polled believed that the sun revolved around the earth.  These anti-Copernican people need better public science education and this is one of the tenets of the Darwin Day Foundation.

Charles Darwin

To celebrate Darwin Day, the Secular Student Alliance and the Biology Society paired up and will be hosting a movie night.  We will be airing a movie that outlines the Evolution vs. Creationism debate.  We will be offering pizza, drinks, and cake (as this is Charles Darwin’s birthday).  So, if you’re on Wabash campus on Tuesday, February 12th at 7:30 pm, feel free to come to Baxter Hall 101 to celebrate with us.