Troubling Times.

Greetings to all of you wonderful blog readers out there.  I hope that your weeks are going well.  Mine is going okay, so far.

You may remember awhile back when I wrote of some internal struggles that are happening here at Wabash.  I wrote of the forced retirement of a professor.  I wrote about how student-professor relationships seemed to be strained.  Some people may get upset that I am speaking of such matters as these, but I wrote all of this because, as a blogger for Wabash College, I am supposed to write about what is going on in my life as it pertains to the college.  Well, being a student here and living on campus, Wabash College is my life, and I feel that it is my duty to express the ongoings of this college to people on the outside of these “classic halls”.

There is quite a stirring of student protesting as of late.  Some students want to assemble and protest over a two day span.  By doing so, they would be missing classes.  Now, I’m not saying that I haven’t missed class before.  I have been sick, and I have overslept once or twice.  My problem with this rally is that I don’t understand the point behind it.  Students are going to miss classes that they have already paid for and, possibly, ruin a professor’s lesson plan that they put much effort into.  What I don’t understand is what these students plan to accomplish my missing classes to protest.  Why couldn’t it be done on a Saturday or Sunday?  At the surface, it really just looks like a ploy to get out of class for a couple of days, and even if it isn’t, I don’t see anything being accomplished aside from the possible infuriation of some professors.  Even worse, the infuriation of students, like myself, who don’t want to run the risk of our classes (which we pay for) being cancelled because of the shenanigans of other students who have some kind of pseudo-antiestablishmentarianism complex.

That is all that I have for you today.