Wabash Blogs Wabash West

« Like Gov. Arnold said: "I'll be back!" | Main | Back in San Francisco for Friday Event »

Return to West Coast to Roll Out Magazine

Howard W. Hewitt - President Patrick White and several members of the Wabash staff will be on hand in San Francisco Friday night at the John Pence Gallery to roll out the winter issue of Wabash Magazine.

The magazine will feature stories and photos produced during a 10-day road trip last summer that was documented in this blog! You can read those entries below.

The idea for a return trip was first suggested by Jonathan Walsh '98 during my San Francisco visit. Jonathan wasn't on my visit list but really wanted to get together so we met one evening over a great glass of Pinot Noir. When telling him about the magazine and alums I had visited, Jonathan suggesting returning to California to debut the magazine when it was published.

I thought Walsh had a great idea and suggested it would really be a coup to have our new president make his first visit at the same time.

When I returned to campus I was tickled to present the idea and find most everyone thought it was a great plan. So, we're headed back to the city by the bay.

We're hosting a reception in 1958 grad John Pence's downtown gallery and we're expecting a big turnout. Reservations were closed Friday with nearly 50 people expected to attend.

Magazine Editor Steve Charles will make the trip out with me and we'll be on hand along with the President, his wife Chris, along with major gifts officer Steve Hoffman '85, and coordinator of donor relations Marilyn Smith. Smith was actually making a personal trip but when she heard about the reception wanted to be a part of the plans.

We believe 6-7 of the 9 men visited during our California Road Trip will be present. Justin Castle '97 was living and working in San Jose during our visit but has since returned to Indiana. Bronson Frick '95 had planned to attend, then his work with Americans for Non-Smokers Rights required him to be in Detroit Friday night.

Wabash Magazine will be mailed Thursday or Friday. We'll have copies on hand in San Francisco for the reception. This is a unique collaboration between the Magazine and our online efforts.

We introduce all nine of  the alums in the magazine, but we've spread the wealth of material between the two mediums. You will find full profiles on all of the alums on the website - just click here to go to the front page of our online profiles. Click here to go to Wabash Magazine Online.

Charles and I will blog throughout the trip, so check back! I'm sure we'll have some Bay Area photos and experiences to share along with coverage of Friday night's event.