Matt Paul, ’13

“Hey fellas, for those of you who don’t know my name is Matt Paul. I’m a rising junior goalkeeper from Bloomington, IN. I’ve been playing competitive soccer for almost 10 years now having started out with Bloomington Cutters in U13. I played with Cutters for the following 3 years before moving the Center Grove Soccer Club to get more playing time in U16. I played high school soccer at Bloomington High School North and was a 4 year letter winner, though I didn’t start until senior year because I was stuck behind an ’08 grad. During my time at North we were Regional champs 3 straight years and my last high school soccer game was a loss to Fier and CJ’s Columbus North team in a PK shootout in semi-state. At Wabash I have spent most of my time as a backup, first to Pat my freshman year and then to Ian MacDougall last season. I look forward to coming into next year with my best chance to play yet, though I know that Kenny and Will are going to push me and I greatly welcome that. While I am not the tallest goalkeeper I like to think that my technique and preparation make up for that fact and allow me to excel nonetheless.
Personally, I am a History and Spanish double major and an English minor. I am a resident assistant and will be living on Martindale 4th floor next year. Besides being on the soccer team I am a member of Pre-Law society and hope to go on to law school after my time at Wabash is up. I will also be traveling to Granada, Spain for second semester next year to study abroad for four months. I like to spend time with friends and listen to music, as well as watch soccer of course. I have high hopes for this team in the coming up season. We all know that we have underachieved these past couple of seasons and I think it is about time that we started overachieving. We are going to be a veteran, experienced team and its about time we started acting like it. I like the goals that Pat has set, but my challenge is a little more abstract: Lets be the best that we can be, and don’t let anything get in the way of that. I’ll see you guys in a couple of months, take care!”
Matt Paul, ’13