One Goal Achieved; Three To Go

Well folks – as my friend Tyler Wade would write –  the first milestone of my 3 and 1/2 marathon to lose 25 pounds by Aug. 17 has been reached. 

As you may recall – the three aficionados readers whom I sill have, i hope – my plan was to lose 10 pounds during the month of May, right after I read Dean Raters’s blog about his quest to lose weight on April 30. I weighed myself, report my 200 pounds to the link MIke had given everyone in order to test our height/age weight and realized I was considered overweight, 25 pounds to be precise!

I am happy — and a little proud – to report that the scale this morning tipped to 190.4 pounds. I have lost 9.6 pounds in 30 days. And since the month is not over yet, I have the goal of losing the remaining 10 ounces, as planned, by June 1, tomorrow.

I can’t deny that this accomplishment makes me feel good. I knew that the first 30 days were going to be the toughest of all, but thankfully I was able yo stick it out and endure.

Now, the second goal is to lose 5 pounds in the month of June, thus reaching the 185 pound mark. I will continue my law-carb, low-calorie eating regiment, and workout five days per week for 45′ each time.

The workout may vary as I get bored easily, but mainly I am going to play tennis 2/3 times per week for the next two weeks and/or walk/run 3 miles each time I go out – approximately 5,000 steps. In addition to this, I do 100 push ups using rotating handles, in sets of 20 staggered throughout the day, as well as 50 sit ups, 50 leg rise, and 50 crunches.

My diet consists of a 1,500 calorie per day diet, more or less. I eat lean protein, mostly, like 3 hard boiled egg-whites with spinach dressed with extra virgin olive oil for breakfast, about 300 calories. For dinner I always have a big green salad with some sun dried tomatoes, a little shaved Parmigiano cheese, some shaved almonds and a few croutons. The salad is dressed with Teardrop Extra Virgin Olive Oil, "Lacrima" in Italian. That’s the first few drops coming out of an olive when is pitted – delicious, simply the best. With an addition of some Aceto Balsamico and salt, the salad is about 300 calories. The main dish for dinner is either 1 grilled chicken breast, or 1 grilled lean burger patty or — twice per week – 100 gr. of whole-grain pasta with a simple tomato and basil sauce. These dishes are about 400 calories. You think I forgot lunch? No way, but my lunch doesn’t really exist, because I snack all day on carrots, blueberries, walnuts, bananas, cantaloupe, or fennel and drink 24 oz of 1% chocolate milk, between breakfast and dinner, for the other 500 calories I need for the day.

I stay away from greasy, fried, and fatty food. I eliminated  wine – temporarily, I may add – bread, semolina pasta, sweets, and starches. With the exception of the croutons in my salad, the only exception to the law-carb diet may be the occasional slice of toasted whole-grain bread I eat with greens.

There you have it. It’s not rocket science as we all know, but the hard part is to take the first few steps to better the quality of food we put in our bodies and exercise. The hardest part though is to avoid to get to the point when we need drastic measures to lose the extra weight and get to our optimum body balance. I am the first one who forgot this valuable lesson, but I can guarantee you that it will be for the last time. I enjoy fine wine and food way too much to deprive myself of such exquisite life pleasures. It’s just a matter of maintaining  a healthy weight and exercise regularly in order to eat and drink, with moderation, whatever we want, when we want, and enjoy life while doing so.

I’ll be back in a month!

Coach G. 

13 Responses to One Goal Achieved; Three To Go

1. KATHRYN says:

Hi Coach G.
    I am still with you and rooting for you all the way. Your new diet sounds delicious (which I would expect for an Italian)! Maybe I will join you. I want to hike in the Tetons in August and really need some training to prepare.
    Kathryn Paul

2. sole f80 says:

I really like your blog, the theme is good and the info you provide is really impressive, I am going to come back to check on the e info you put up, best of luck and keep up the good work.

3. school grants says:

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

4. nursing schools says:

What a great resource!

5. Coach G-
    Kudos to you for going about this in such a sensible manner. There is no magic bullet to weight loss, however, reducing food intake,, along with a regular exercise program, is the most effective way to drop weight – and keep it off.
    Keep up the good work!

6. Great result, Roberto! I am on my goal too, I am skinny and don’t have to lose pounds to look good, but I want to lose 6 pounds to see muscle definition and reach less than 10% body fat which for a female is a very good result.

7. Tava Tea says:

How do you calculate your daily food amount calories?
    Do you use some organiser or calories calculator?
    Thanks.

8. cy says:

Remember to drink plenty of water, not just fruit juices.
    Do what you are doing consistently and you will be there !

9. Aha! You hit the nail on the head… Eat in moderation not starve yourself or be forced to eat boring foods all of your life. But, we must realize that when we are sedentary and are eating all kinds of sweets and salts, we increase our fat percentage to an unhealthy level. So, must sacrifice some hours each week to exercise enabling our bodies to handle eating great food (in moderation, that is).

10. Don Demarco says:

Cool! I’m always looking for healthy yet tasty dishes to add to my list. Like you I like to be healthy but I don’t necessarily want to live on granola and protein shakes since I enjoy the finer things in life!

11. Carrie says:

Way to go! One question though, how do you handle hunger pangs? I would have a growly stomach all day long :)

12. physical therapist says:

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

13. Wow 25 pounds of weight loss is a tremendous achievement, congratulations and best of luck in your future endeavors!