Wabash Blogs Wabash in Africa

« Face to Face with the Struggle of Women | Main | Moving About »

Reality Sets In

by Jeana Rogers
July 6, 2006

I'm back and reality is still setting in. My sincere apologies for not being able to update the blog regularly during the trip. Technology in Third World countries is difficult to access and often unreliable. Now that I'm home I'll be writing more about the experience and the interviews we conducted in the next few days. For now I will let the pictures speak for themselves and I will spend a few days marveling at light switches that work, flush toilets, warm showers and Burger King!

But I will never forget the children in the villages living in mud huts and sleeping on dirt floors. I will never forget the young girls who pleaded for our help so that they will not be circumcised in December. I will never forget the orphanage run by a retired teacher who now cares for over 40 children who's parents died mostly of AIDS. I will never forget the strong young women we met who are fighting for their rights, for jobs and for their lives.

I will never forget this experience. And I will be doing what I can to make some of these peoples lives a little better.

Childrens Photo Album

The Country (Uganda and Kenya)

Presentations at the Women's Center

The People